The Boyacheks

The Boyacheks

Sunday, June 8, 2008

It has been A week...

So, Monday morning Jim left for a business trip and was supposed to come home Wednesday night but ended up coming home Tuesday night and I am glad he did. It has been a week of testing limits especially for Catalina. Monday morning she had been picking on John all morning and they continued to fight in the pool so I finally said that was enough and they had to get out of the pool. Well Catalina decided she didn't want to get out and I started with 10 minutes in time out then 30, 45, 1 hour, 2 hours and realized that wasn't working so I ended up having to drag her out of the pool which then started a 40 min kicking and screaming fit. After she was done, she spent the rest of the time on the couch in time out, and then Jaysa decided to throw up all of her lunch and then John wanted to join in and have a fit of his own. Tuesday morning at 7:30 John comes out of his room screaming with blood all over his face and hands. It freaked me out, but poor thing had a nose bleed and it scared him. Then Catalina decides to have another big break down among many other small things going on. Idios Mia!
Wednesday and Thursday went a little better but a lot of little tantrums from all 3 of the kids. Friday was the start of a tutor for Catalina to help her with English and she was so excited. She got all dressed up, and kept looking out the window waiting for her. It was cute. I got to spend some one on one time with John during that time and had so much fun playing cars. The rest of the afternoon and Saturday went really good. We had a lot of fun playing and the kids really helped us around the house. They really are great kids and we feel so blessed that God chose us to be their parents :)
This week I have come to really appreciate Grace. Our pastor has been talking about it for the past few weeks and it has been so refreshing for me to hear. Most people have said when you first become a mom you try to do everything for your child and then when number 2 or 3 comes along that usually gets thrown out the window. Well I have felt like I need to be super mom for them and have quickly realized that it is not possible. I can't be everything or do everything I want to for them, but that is OK because I serve a great God who gives me grace. None of us are perfect and never will be. It feels so good to know that when we mess up that God is always there pouring out his love and grace on us. It is so wonderful to know that we can't do anything to earn Gods love, He already loves us no matter what. I have seen Him provide in so many ways during this journey, it just amazes me.



The next Jose Calderon


Jaysa loves to put on sunglasses and will just walk around wearing them. It cracks me up :)



Kudos to Florence for putting in this fun water area and park. Music plays and the water goes up and down and you don't know where it will go. The kids had a lot of fun!



Our 3 little monkeys jumping on the bed :)

8 comments:

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Girl, you are doing great! You and Jim make an awesome team, and it's those moments like last week that remind you how special the good ones are...I found that God really teaches me some profound lessons of His love as I am disciplining my children...I am reminded of His grace at the same time. It is neat for me to have all the "AHA" moments with God, when stuff like what you described happens in my own home...God reminds me how I often throw my own little tantrums and try to manipulate things to get my own way...I may not kick and scream on the outside, but sometimes I am on the inside!

It is neat too, to see how quickly they mimic us and reminds me to be the best role model possible at all times...Andrew went to school, and there was no telling what he would say! Children are mirrors of their parents. It is good that you are implementing consequences and rewards. Keep it up! You have some great kids, and absolutely LOVE the family photo! A beautiful family! Just beautiful...

Kimberly said...

Love the new Blog layout and picture! You 5 just match so well - you are a good looking family!!

I say be encouraged by the misbehavior...it is your first steps into a bit of normalcy with raising kids. And yeah, hang on that grace you were talking about!

You and Jim are doing great I can tell! So glad Catalina is jumping right into her tutoring, too!

Kimberly

Bill and Melodie said...

Wow, you've got your hands full! I will soon know what you're going through as I am going to be spending the next couple of months in Guatemala with our girls... YIKES, a bit scarey, but so thrilled to have this opportunity.
I'll see you when we return, Schroder family of four!

Love you, Melodie

Alison said...

If parenting were easy, what kind of fun would that be?? Makes you enjoy the good times all the more. Hang in there. Levi's been around me for almost 3 years now and I'm still trying to figure him out! :)

We are so coming to Florence to play at that water park!!

Anonymous said...

What a great family picture!! We loved all the pictures.

"Hope you have a lot of fun with your basketball hoop." from Josh

"I always look at your blog and I really like the pictures with Jasmine in it. I know you'll take really good care of your children. I think my new cousins are really cool." from Ben

Sorry to hear about the time out pool episode! I didn't even chuckle when I read it. I had to do a little pool discipline myself last summer and remember thinking "if I actually have to get in there to get you, you will be in HUGE trouble!!!!!"

Love and prayers from us,
Sandy and the boys

Donna said...

I can not begin to tell you how much these stories sound exactly the same. Even the nose bleeds. I have had a few with Anji. Also I had a hard time at first with Carol. Time outs did not work. At first I thought it was just a communication problem, but then I knew she could understand me. So after 2 months of trying time outs, I tried another method....I explained counting to 3 and if she didn't respond to the issue she had no TV the next day. Well she didn't respond so I said no TV for the next 2 days. She could not believe it when the next 2 days she could not watch TV even when her brother and sister were watching. All I can say is I have never gotten to 3 again and she has never had TV taken away since and it has been 7 months.

Also the trying to be super mom and doing everything and having 3 kids wanting something at the same time....well lets just say I am still working on that. But its much better and they understand when I say I'll help you in a minute. Once they are speaking better English it does get easier. My husband does not travel but leaves early and gets home close to 7, so I am here most of the time with them.

My kids love to see the pictures and Carol keeps saying that by the time she is 8 her hair will be that long. The are beautiful and you are doing a great job!!!

Donna Krebs

Dan and Karen said...

It does get easier. Speaking and understanding more English helps. Learning about each other helps. Once they know you mean what you say it will get easier too. And I think the days with struggles make me really appreciate the good days.
You're doing a great job! You'll be amazed in a couple of months how far you're come.
ps: you make a beautiful family!

Dan and Karen said...

One thing that worked for our oldest (8) was tying his bedtime to his behavior. He has a cardboard clock on the fridge set to his bedtime. Everytime he misbehaves I move it back 5 minutes. He really, really hates to have to go to bed early (even if it's only 5 minutes). Being the oldest he wants to stay up the latest and the clock has been a great incentive for him to behave.

Colombia