The Boyacheks

The Boyacheks

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tuesday the 6th

Hey everyone. This is Jim again. Jaime doesn't know I'm writing this as she is out with John and Leidy. She went to some virtual world for kids. I guess you should expect some cool pictures when she gets back. Once again, I am bonding with my little munchkin Jaisa Stefani. We played a little hide and seek and then I put her down for a nap. She has been a lot of fun and is very sweet.

Bogota has been a wonderful journey for us. We are having a great time and enjoying the Colombian people. It has been a very educational time for me as I have been studying Spanish and learning a lot about the culture here. These people like to party as they have a celebration for every day of the year. We were very sceptical when we came here as we were told many warnings about how to act here and obviously the kidnapping reputation that this country has. I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised as time after time I have felt great courtesy, respect and have never felt in danger. Some of the areas here are by far the most beautiful I have ever seen, but because of the "Colombian" reputation, many people will never even consider this place as a vacation. There are many places here that would dominate as a tourist area if Colombia could clear up their image.

There have been quite a few things I have found out. I think this came to me as I was getting on the bus with my kids for a tour and the kids wanted to sit in the front seat. Now, if any of you know me, this has never ever taken place in my lifetime but because of their begging, I gave in. I immediately felt like I could work in an IT department as my nerd factor quickly quadtripled. People started looking at me differently and I kept thinking how cool it would be to sit in the back with all the cool guys. Of course, at the first stop, I bought myself some suspenders as I felt a belt just wasn't getting the job done. I'm sure many of you from Huntsville know exactly how this feels.

Anyway, I did learn some things.

#1. Colombians are taught in school there are only 5 continents - The Americas are only one continent
#2. Bogota is at almost 9000 ft, which make it one of the highest cities in the world.
#3. Colombians are more literate then Americans
#4. Average yearly wage is $8,400
#5. WalMart had more in sales last year then the total GDP of Colombia

Now this learning streak I am on may have something to do with the fact that I can't watch any of the NBA finals here because it isn't on. I have tried to follow it thru NBA.com, but it really isn't the same as yelling at Kobe Bryant for being the most overrated player ever. To win the MVP of the league is the most ridiculous thing ever and he wouldn't even be playing right now if it wasn't for Pau Gasol. I'll try to refrain from my sports bias though.

I also have a bone to pick with my wife as before we went down this road, we planned out the jobs portion of taking care of these munchkins. She drew the straw of changing diapers, but somehow I am beginning to dominate that task. She also has the gift of hearing if one of the kids moves at 3am in the morning in the next room, she is up making sure they are ok. She then wakes me up and lets me know that everything is alright. Why? Any guys out there? Any advice?

I will say that she has been absolutely amazing and this journey has been the best with her. She is doing great and her life is full with these 3 kids. She was born to be a mom and I see her gifts as a nurse, caregiver and nurturer coming out everyday more and more. I am lucky to have her as my wife as most of you have repetively told me over and over again!

Well, I need to go get little munchkin up and I'm sure, change her diaper. I think I'm in the mood to play "I will throw you up as far in the air as he can until you throw up". (My dad taught me that one) The kids love to wrestle and try to pin me down and jump on me like a trampoline but they ususally find themselves on the ground after too long screaming for their mom to help. I don't know how that happens, but I remember screaming for my mom when that same thing happenned to me?

So far we haven't found out any new news of our paperwork but I'm sure we'll know something more tomorrow. Life is great! Thanks for your emails of encouragement and comments. We couldn't be happier and look forward to coming home soon. You're prayers have made this journey what it has been!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are praying for you all. the kids seem so fond of you guys. we love all of you. God is Awesome!!

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Jim, How sweet of you...Proverbs 31--she is praised by her husband! Don't forget to remind her of those things this Sunday on Mother's Day!

Jason & Jerica Wood said...

Hey! Make mother's day a special one:)

I am sure Jason has lots of advice for you!! But i do have to say he is a good diaper changer:)

Bill and Melodie said...

Glad you are getting the hang of the diaper thing. Bill was an expert by the time we left Guatemala. Although Rosa did pee on the bed one day, which completely caught him off guard. I told him he should be glad she wasn't a boy because then it would have been all over him. I was relieved it was on his side of the bed! So glad to hear that you all are enjoying your time there although we miss you here and can't wait to meet the new members of your family.
Love you guys, all 5 of you!

Any news on your house selling???

Kimberly said...

Diaper Duty Dads ROCK!!!

Alison said...

Garet is enjoying the NBA finals for you. I, on the other hand, can't wait until they are over :).

Anonymous said...

Dude, don't watch nba.com. Use espn.com. The articles and highlights are so much better.
I don't know if you knew this but Kobe has a pretty messed up thumb. My sources told me its from sucking it all day long.
If it makes you feel any better, I haven't been watching much either, but I did stay over at a holiday inn express last night.

Laura S said...

Sounds like you are really taking advantage of the trip as a learning opportunity. Colombia is a beautiful country. There are so many wonderful places to see and unfortunately very few Americans ever get the chance to see them. I know your children will appreciate that you have taken the time to learn about where they are from and hopefully you will get to take them back as they get older.

If you are ever in Atlanta we will be happy to show you where some Colombian restaurants and markets are...so they (and you) can get a taste of home!

The Jensen Family said...

Sounds like the parent bug has gotten the best of you guys! Great stories and love the success that you are experiencing!

Traci

Anonymous said...

Alison, the finals aren't until June. And Detroit will be there. The best was watching the Hawks home games. I hope people actually go to their games next year now. Maybe Pau Gasol should have won MVP since his existence has convinced Kobe to pass. I am actually a Kobe fan (despite any logic against this), but I was pulling for Chris Paul. He'll end up winning it eventually though.

Alison said...

who needs NBA.com with Garet's analysis?!?!

Colombia