The Boyacheks

The Boyacheks

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Day 6!

Sorry our internet has been down all night...

OK, Jim again. Jaime has caught what I call a case of the three muchachos. Interpreted for you without 3 or more kids - she is completely exhausted. I think the frustrating thing for her is that the spanish that she knows - although I think is very advanced, is still not enough to keep up with these guys. They talk so fast and not knowing what they are saying sometimes makes it a little difficult. They are speaking a little english now and we are picking up more of what they are saying everyday. It is challenging but very rewarding. We are doing most of our talking in small spanish sentences. We use a lot of hand jestures and really it can be very effective. If needed, we can get with some of the staff and they can help us here but overall we are managing by ourselves. Leidy is especially wanting to learn English quickly so we say the word in spanish and then translate it to English for her and she repeats it.

Today was a long day though. We all were up early to go to the zoo - well actually it was more like a big petting farm. Not really any exotic animals but a ton of birds, pigs, sheep, horses and cows. They had a blast here so I know I can take them to quite a few places in our neighborhood and show them something similar. It was a very nice drive though - about 1 hour north of Bogota. Traffic is very crazy here and cars always have the right of way instead of people. I found this out - almost the hard way.

We were at the zoo about 7 hours, riding horses, seeing pigs race, and running after lots of birds and kids. The trip home was slow but very sweet. The kids fell asleep on us, Jaime had Jhon and Stefani and I had Leidy. It was fun when we got back as they were completely knocked out and we had to carry them into the casa.

Everyone went for a siesta except me. I decided to give the streets of Bogota a try for a run. It was challenging dodging the traffic but probably the more challenging thing was my my lack of exercise over the past 3 months. I stopped in at a phone shop to try and get my cell phone working but to no avail. I was able to amuse the entire store as I was in running shorts and NO ONE wears shorts here. It is amazing to me but in this beautiful weather, everyone wears jeans and sweaters and scarfs. Anyways, I struck up a conversation with Sergio there and he was so thrilled for what we were doing here. He asked me to bring the kids by his shop when I can. It was really amazing to me as he was literally moved to tears when I was telling him about the kids. They really cherish the family here and kids seem to be everywhere.

Can you guys believe we have 3 kids! It is still very hard for me to believe. I think that it seemed like such a dream but now such a reality. If I knew it was going to be this much fun, I would've pursued this a long time ago. I am already trying to convince Jaime to consider this again but she is always the rationale one... I guess it just breaks my heart to hear and see so many kids that grow up without a family and that we can actually make a difference in a few kids lives.

Tonight was jump on Jaime night. I had nothing to do with it, trust me. I taught the kids one of my favorite games - steamroller! I think I like it better then they did but we laughed and laughed and laughed. There are only a few times in my life that I have laughed so much - you know - like when snaught comes out of your nose and you start coughing until you can't stop. Yeah - that was tonight. Jhon has the most hilarious laugh and you can't help but laugh when you hear it.


Tommorrow should be another fun filled day. We are going on a bit of a tour of the city and who else knows what may happen. Our God is a great God and we thank Him everyday for all He has blessed us with. This is an awesome ride and we look forward more and more to each day. Hasta Luego







14 comments:

Bill and Melodie said...

I can't believe y'all are still going after 6 fun-filled days. We were exhausted after 48 hours in a hotel room with our girls! Love the steamroller game, Jim. I'm sure you had NOTHING to do with that one!

The Jensen Family said...

Wow--I'm exhausted just hearing about your day with three kids. Take care of yourselves so you don't get sick! Wouldn't be a pretty sight while playing steamroller! ; )

Traci

deanna willett said...

Your kiddos are absolutely beautiful and its sounds like things are going great. We have enjoyed following your adventure.

Deanna, Dave, Brian & Angelica

Kimberly said...

It is really neat to see the progression of familiarity in each day's pics. Today's pics more than any others to me really reflected more and more of a family feel. Does it feel a little more real every day? Can you tell any growing comfort and trust from the kids?

What a joy! Hang in there Jaime! :)
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Love you guys! Miss u!
Can't wait to see u kids! I hope all u guys are having a great time. See u soon!!!

Unknown said...

Rrrrr... it didn't sign me in... that last one was from me!
love ya,

(newly) uncle shaun

Anonymous said...

I'm super happy that yall are having so much fun with your three little ones! I cannot wait to meet my new "siblings" as soon as I can, they sound so great. :D
You are all in my prayers!

I love you guys, and stay safe!

Megos

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Love the smiles and joy expressed in your posts! You guys are really a beautiful family...and Jim, just give Jaime about 6 months or so...and she may change her mind!! The experience we had was and is challenging as just raising children is a challenge, however, what joy and blessings it has brought us to be able to share our home, our love, and everything else with a few children. I told Ben I want to have every chair around the table filled up! He has agreed when it is time we will adopt again...and most likely Colombia...we feel knit to the people...they are beautiful people!

Anyways, love the pics! Leidy is some kind of beautiful! Gorgeous Princesa! Can't wait to introduce her to Tatiana, and I'm sure Andrew and Diego would have a ball with Jhon! Stefanie looks like a doll as well. Love her lil ponytail! Beautiful!!! I can't think of another word...just beautiful! You guys are beautiful!

God Bless!

Anonymous said...

I am totally speechless!! After catching up reading each days blog I have cried, smiled and laughed out loud!! But most of all my heart is so touched. The children are absolutely beautiful I can hardly wait to see them in person! I just want to hug and hold them in person (Jamie you will have to warn them before they get to church haha). Leidy, what an angel! I want her to spend some time with my girls! Actually all 3 of my girls are just as excited as Tommy and I to get to know all 3 children. Please tell Jhon we have a great big "bathtub" we are getting ready for him to come swim in. You are in our prayers daily! How great is our God? It is so evident in your pictures. I can only sit here with my mouth gaping open in awe of all he is doing in your lives, your childrens lives and in the lives of all of us who are privileged to know you!

Angela Calhoun

Anonymous said...

Jim,Jaime and kids,
We are so blessed to be able to see the pictures and hear all about your days. Thank you so much Jim and Jaime for keeping us informed of everything that is happening.We can't wait to see you all and LOVE hearing from you.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Abruela and Abruelo
(Dad wants to be called- Hercules)??

Anonymous said...

Hey! You know after 3 kids you are your own zoo. I am fascinated by all of this. Your blog is like a really good book. I've found myself in whatever minutes I have coming to my computer just to see if you have updates. Georgia is sewing a quilt today for "Girls in Action" and I thought of Leidy--she will love this class. I was just wondering was Stefani able to get that out of Jim's nose? :) she was really after something.

Lindsey Dabbs

Amanda said...

I'm friends with Bill and Melodie... I love reading your story! Three children?!? How amazing!! They are so lucky to have you, but I bet you feel like the lucky ones!! They are so beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Plan B:
O.K. you didn't like the "Juan" thing, so here's a better idea. Start drinking all the water from the tap you possibly can. You'll get the trots so bad, they'll have to air lift you and your family out. Also, flush everything down the toilet... they don't like that much.

I'm so looking forward to meeting my nieces and nephew and begin the Boyachek corruption program. We have a lot of work to do.

Love you dudes,

heather, joe, leila, chandler, eva, lex, juan bondez, tim horton, maple leafs, maple syrup, and neo citron, George W. Bush

The Smith's said...

I am enjoying reading your blogs and just can't wait until I get to read the next one. I remember how we felt when we were in China getting Noah and how I just wanted to share each and everything that we did with everyone back home.

I feel like I am there with you all on this amazing journey. Your journey there will be much longer than our journey in China. I hope that everything continues to go well for all of you.

Hopefully Jaime will get come sleep. (mmmmmm, sure!) Just remember that at some point you have to just be still and get sleep so that you don't get sick.

We so look forward to the day that we can meet your beautiful children.

Love

Becky

Colombia